The premises of the former Dome monastery were used by the first school in Riga. The Dome school was established in 1211, pupils were taught in Latin and all the teachers were priests. After the Reformation the School was under the authority of City and it became the first establishment of higher education in Riga.
In 1695 Dome School turned into Gymnasium. Philosophy, the history of religion, rhetoric, history, Greek, law and mathematics was taught at the School. J.G.Herder
was a teacher here during 1764-1769, the monument to J.G.Herder
is placed next to Dome Cathedral, similar to the monument in Weimar.
SkatÄ«t lielÄku karti