English Latvieđu Russian
Home > Architecture > The Powder Tower

The Powder Tower

The Powder Tower (Pulvertornis) is one part of the former fortification system, surrounding Riga. It was first mentioned in 1330 and it was originally called Smilsu Tornis (The Sand Tower), but from the 17th century when the powder had been kept in it, the Tower gained the name of Powder.
The diameter of this round tower is 14.3m, height -25.6m, the width of the walls reaches 3m.
Now the Latvian War Museum is situated there.
ADDRESS: Smilšu iela 20, Riga, Latvia

View Larger Map