“Impossible as a bridge over Daugava” – this metaphor was used in Riga up to the 18th century when the Swedish authorities, then in control in Riga (1701), constructed the first floating bridge that connected Central Riga (Vecriga) with Pardaugava.
By the end of the 19th century it was replaced by pontoon bridge. In 1872 and 1914 two more bridges were constructed, one of which, the “Iron Bridge” was destroyed during the World War 2.
The newest bridge is the Southern bridge (Dienvidu tilts), construction of which was over-shadowed by corruption scandals – the bridge was unusually expensive one. Now there are 5 bridges over Daugava river in Riga: